Catholic Charities helps families in times of disaster – just a reminder that Hurricane Season is upon us…
DON’T WAIT UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE
FLOOD INSURANCE – Just one inch of water in a home can cost thousands in cleanup costs, including replacing drywall, baseboards, floor coverings and furniture. Buying flood insurance is the best way to protect your home, and your family’s financial security from the costs associated with flood damage.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT FLOOD INSURANCE:
- Annual premiums for a policy start at $112 per year and increases according to the level of flood risk and the amount of coverage needed.
- Contact the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) call center at 888.379.9531 to request an agent referral or visit www.floodsmart.gov
- There is a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy takes effect.
- Most property insurance policies do not cover flood losses, so you will need to purchase separate flood insurance.
- If you rent or own a condominium unit, it is a good idea to purchase both building (if you own the unit) and contents coverage. If you are a tenant, contents-only coverage is available.
- Though flood insurance isn’t federally required, nearly 25% of all NFIP flood claims occur in moderate-to-low risk areas.